Get a 24 hour weather forecast
Liam Stack, M.Sc.Ag
Weeds within your pasture compete with grass for nutrients. A field of grass infested with 20% docks may produce the same tns DM as a field of grass only but it will produce 20% less grass.
Controlling a field with 20% docks can grow 2t/ha extra grass worth €360/ha.
When deciding on how you are going to control weeds in your grass you need to consider:
Controlling weeds with clover in reseeds?
Unfortunately (at time of production) there is no clover safe option available for reseeded swards. Please keep in contact your local Area Sales Manager, branch agri lead or our inside sales team on 022 31644 for the most up to date and timely information.
MAINTAINING DRINKING WATER QUALITY THROUGH BEST PRACTICE PESTICIDE APPLICATION
Surface waters such as rivers and lakes, account for 80% of drinking water supplies in Ireland. Low level detections of grassland herbicides have been found in drinking water supplies in the last number of years.
Exceedance level: 1 part in 10 billion. The equivalent of one drop in an Olympic-sized swimming pool or 1 second in 317 years.
As an industry we have already implemented some changes to reduce the levels found in drinking water.
At all times we must be responsible with our use of chemicals:
– Choose the right pesticide product
– Read and follow the product label
– Buying and applying the correct amount
– Not spraying if rain or strong winds are forecast in the next 48 hours
– Make sure you are aware of the location of all nearby water courses
– Comply with any buffer zone specified on the product label to protect the aquatic environment. Mark out the specified buffer zone from the edge of the river or lake or other water course
– Never filling a sprayer directly from a water course or carry out mixing, loading or other handling operations beside a water course
– Avoid spills, stay well back from open drains and rinse empty containers 3 times into the sprayer
– Store and disposing of pesticides and their containers properly
Please contact your local Area Sales Manager, our the Inside Sales Team on 022 31644 or your local branch
for information on the full range available